Today I was confronted with an unexpected behavior of Azure DevOps Services. An external user got invited to a private Azure DevOps project by following the steps below.
- Open a private Azure DevOps project
- Click the
Invitebutton in the upper right corner
- Enter email address of external user
- Select the team the user should be added to
Unfortunately the corresponding user did not receive an invitation email (spam folder got checked) and therefore could not get access to the Azure DevOps project.
After a short research I came across the following thread in the Developer Community forum:
This seems to be a known issue, which can be circumvented as follows:
- Go to
- In the left menu select
- Enter the email address of the corresponding user in the filter pane on the top
- Hover over the corresponding user, click on the three dots at the right side and then select
To avoid these additional steps, invite external users directly in organization settings by clicking the
Add users button (see screenshot above).